Board :Chronicles of the Winds
Author :Intensifly
Subject :The art of deception
Date :5/19
I am a bureaucrat with the Buya administration and I'm usually tasked with following up on citizens petitions to our queen, a position that, while giving me some joy, does not fulfill my dreams of life. Outside of my work, I am learning to qualify for a higher position in the Buya administration. I love my kingdom and its people and I would like to serve them more and better.

Recently I took classes with the Chonguns of Koguryo about a book by Sun Tzu, "The art of war". It was fascinating! and on my way home I was contemplating the lessons. Especially about using decption to gain advantages towards an adversary. While we are living in a period of peace, I know it is fragile and eventually Buya will have to prepare for war. And more, even at peace, there are no inner threats to our kingdom and my queen.

So when yesterday another petitioner arrived at the palace, a famous and greedy merchant arrived, petitioning for even more personal gains - and I really hate selfish, greedy people - I contemplated, whether my newly learned knowledge could help setting things straight with this merchant. They are connected extremely well with my superior and always receive special treatment. This time it was agreed, the merchant should return late evening and pick up some royal benefits, originally meant for the poor of Buya. I was sure the timing was set to avoid having witnesses. I also overheard the merchant mention he would be taking refreshments in Pepper tavern while waiting for the pickup time.

I had to act and I had to act fast. I excused myself from work and made my way to wilderness. I remember seeing wild castor beans the other day on my way back from Koguryo. I harvested some, went home and pressed the oil, collecting it in a small vial. I changed my baji into a simple garb, knotted my wild hair, put on my late grandfather's glasses, which, while limiing my field of vision, disturbed the look of my face enough to not be recognized quickly. I walked over to Pepper's, took a seat and watched the merchant, sitting a couple of tables away, enjoying a carafe of fermented rice wine. "Great" I thought, fermented rice wine will blend with the oil and hide the taste of it. Now I all I had to do was to be brave, walk over there, empty my vial and leave. It is one thing to plan such an act, and quite another to go through with it. I felt like everyone from here to the palace would hear the pumping beat. But I got myself under control and began the short walk, which felt like a mile. Reaching the table, I stumbled, fell over the table, thus covering the merchants view of the caraffe. I quickly managed to empty the vial while pushing myself to an upright position again. "I am sorry, my lord" I mumbled, trying not to look into the merchant's face. "Away with you, filthy scum!" was the impolite reply and well, that's what I did. I bowed with an excusing gesture and left the tavern.

The rush of adrenaline felt great. I took a seat outside, removed the glasses and the hair knot, and ordered a cup of water, looking at the tavern doors, but not for long. The merchant quickly appeared, the colors of his face reminding me of a foul melon. He rushed behind the tavern and from the sounds he produced for the next hour, I was sure, the special treatment hit home. And as the last glimpse of light caught up in Dok Smith's shop, I made my way back to the palace, leaving the now clearly smelling merchant behind, who was still in no ... position to move.

In the datkness, I knocked at the window where my superior used to exchange his nightly favors, whispering the merchant's name. A hand appeared holding a small pouch. I took it, whispered a thank you and disappeared into the darkness.

Later that night while Pepper's tavern had to be closed due to a bad smell incident and a merchant was treated at shaman Felis, the poor of Buya had a celebration and a bureaucrat was sitting on a chair outside his hut, dreaming about practicing more of the art of deception.