Board :Chronicles of the Winds
Author :Intensifly
Subject :The art of deception - Part 2.2
Date :8/8
* coninued from the art of deception - part 2.1 *

The stranger noticed my movement and shook their head. "There is no need for violence, bureaucrat. Not today, at least." I looked the figure in the eye, nodding, "I am listening.". "We are aware of your position at the court of Buya. And we are also aware that you work for a corrupt superior, whom you despise." Now how could the shadowy figure know about this? Maybe my covert action the other day had not been as covert as I had thought. Or maybe it was a - amazingly accurate - bluff. Indifferently I answered "You wouldn't know.". The figure seemed to grin behind the face mask. "Let's say, I work for someone who wants to end this corruption, and who thinks you would be the right tool to expedite their plan." Could this be the kind of opportunity, I was looking for?

While trying not to show too much interest I said "Please continue." The fellow explained that they were seeking proof for the corruption and expose the while corruption network. If I would agree, I was supposed to collect as much information as possible about my superior and his dealings, including about each and any of the people of his network. The thought excited me, some real spy work ahead to brighten up my days at the Buya ministry. Initially I had thought of reporting my superior to the newly to be appointed minister, but what the masked person suggested appeared to be more eficient. Still, I pretended to hesitate. "Maybe you are doubting your capabilities to do such a task; know that we are very certain, that you are up to it; we wouldn't have approached you otherwise. And if your motivation to help your kingdom is not enough, we are also willing to pay you a substantial fee once the mission is completed. So what do you say?"

"Let me sleep over it!" I responded and then asked "How can I reach you, once I made a decision?". The figure said "Wear this large amber ring when you go to work tomorrow, and we'll know and will contact you for further instructions. If you don't wear it, leave it on your windowsill and you will never hear from us again". Saying that, the figure disappeared into the darkness, leaving me excited but also wondering, what I was getting into.

* to be continued soon *