Board :Tales of the People
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :"It wasn't always like this... " by Reset
Date :12/19
It wasn't always like this...

We used to be civilized, we used to be... More... I just wish things were back to the way they were before. No one believed me when I tried to warn them... I told them something like this would happen, yet nobody listened, they all thought I was crazy... I wish I had been, I wish this never happened...

All the stories you've heard, all the things you've seen, they're true... But it's much worse than you could have ever imagined. We were slaughtering them without relent for centuries... I guess its true is that history favors the winners because we certainly thought we were on the right side of the blade all these years.

You see, it's easy to be intimidated by something twice your size, you might even call it a monster... Jagged teeth, dark skin, white eyes, something truly out of a nightmare... The truth is, up until recently all we had heard of is how violent they could be, tearing us to shreds, eating our brains, it was never anything less of gruesome. If only we had stayed on our land, and never invaded theirs, this would have never happened...

As I write this, there is no grass, no trees, none alive anyway, nothing for miles. I think there's an old kingdom that still hasn't withered yet, but it certainly won't be long until it does... Nag nug? Something like that... Well, there's no food, there's no shelter... Everything is gone... I haven't seen a drop of rain for over seven years, and I'm currently standing on a dried up river bed. This is a wasteland, and we have nobody to blame, but ourselves.

You see, two hundred years ago, there was a species of humanlike creatures called 'Ogres', except they were about twice the size of humans and seemed to enjoy feasting on their guts... This played a large part in why every single aspiring militant was tasked with bringing a few ogre hearts to their commanding officer... They were large and brutish, with the strength of fifteen men, but they were slow... Little did we consider it then, but they were adapted to be the perfect combatants, but of course, not against us humans...

We didn't know it then, but the ogres lived long before humans, and their history wasn't one of peace, but they fought since their existence, a much more terrifying foe... The apex predator of the land in today's world, the Crawlinxes, have laid waste to all we know... They are creatures of six limbs and a strong exoskeleton, living beneath the ground. They stalk their prey, mostly humans, by following their footprints from below... And when they know their target is alone, they strike... They don't kill necessarily, but they consume just enough to lay eggs into their victem, then when the eggs hatch, well, that's what kills us... Their offspring is born hungry.

When the ogres were around they had keen senses to the Crawlinxes under ground, and used their massive strength to strike through the earth, grab the Crawlinx, and well, have dinner. Now the Crawlinxes have no natural predator since we've killed off all the ogres... And they've laid waste to all large mammals, and because of this, the eco system has collapsed upon itself... No large mammels are around to keep the smaller animals in check, to stop them from eating all the vegetation... This is pure chaos...

I write this as a memoir, I do believe my time is breif... I hope someone, somewhere finds a way to deal with the Crawlinxes before it's too late. I think there's maybe two hundred people left... We're all but extinct. All because we couldn't leave something that scared us alone...

I hear the tapping underneath, it seems I have only a few moments, I hope my blade is sharp enough to make this painless... I would much rather leave on my own terms, than theirs...

How sad it to die alone...

Farewell...

~Reset